Get Started!

Ready to start a hot dog cart, food truck or other mobile business?  Please call the Health Department first and tell them what your plans are, they will guide you in the right direction and let you know if the mobile food unit you are interested in will work in Durham County: 919-560-7600

Then call us 919-283-2640 or e-mail to set up an appointment.   

Please make sure you research your options and contact the Health Department before purchasing a mobile cart or truck (believe us, there are lots of regulations and things to consider before starting your mobile food business!)

Print these documents and bring them with you when you visit the commissary:
You can Get a Tax ID Number or EIN Number by visiting or calling 1-800-829-4933

You can Register Your Business Name for Sole Proprietorship/Partnership at the Register of Deeds Office , located at 200 East Main Street - Ground Floor, Durham, NC 27701

E-mail to receive Esser's Commissary Agreement.  Sign the agreement and scan/e-mail a copy back to Esser's Commissary or tour the facility/drop it off.  

You may also want to look at this guide:
Starting A Business In Durham, NC